Saturday, April 24, 2021

PM 1/72 Ho 229 Nightfighter

 

Okay, this is a perfectly awful kit, but it was really cheap. PM is a kit manufacturer in Turkey. I'd built their 1/72 Ho 229 kit back in the '80s (when the company called itself Pioneer Models) and about a decade later they came out with this two-seat nightfighter version that never flew.

I did a little scratchbuilding and added a couple of figures from the spares box. I also elected to show it in flight, partly because the landing gear on this kit is nothing to look at. I made a base from Sculpey and 1/8" acrylic rod.

Finish is RLM 74/75 on top, black underneath. One thing that went wrong along the way was I lost one of the two fairings from the engine fronts, so I chucked a piece of styrene rod in my drill press and used it as a lathe to form a replacement. Then I lost the other kit part and the replacement I'd made, so I ended up making three of them. The carpet monster has the others. Gotta admire that carpet monster! He can eat just about anything I drop, up to at least an inch in size, and he doesn't even need carpet to hide in. He manages to maintain total invisibility on the bare concrete of my workshop floor.

Pitot tube is 1/32" brass tubing with a bit of brass rod superglued in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment