Thursday, June 27, 2024

Sleestak Bust

This is a Jimmy Flintstone product. I finished it up just in time to take it to Wonderfest this year. Most of my time was spent cleaning up the mold seams running up the sides of the head and reestablishing the scales. After priming with Mr. Surfacer, I shot the eyes with Mr. Color gloss black, added a wash of reddish brown Vallejo Model Color (I don't recall what exact color), then brushed on a liberal amount of Quick Shine (which is the new Future, I guess. It dries to a nice hard shine, even though it's kind of milky in the bottle). Then I painted it with various Vallejo greens and ochre yellows, drybrushing successive layers. I mounted it on a block of rosewood with a length of acrylic rod.

The Wonderfest judges awarded it a Bronze, which is about right. It seems figures get Merit simply for a competently applied coat of paint, and paying attention to color modulation and variations of sheen from flat to gloss is enough to get you Bronze. If y'want more, do something special!

The picture at right is from the figure display case at AAA Hobbies in Magnolia, NJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment