Friday, November 23, 2012

KBoP Part 9

Previously on Klingon Bird of Prey...

Here's a little update since I got back to work after a couple weeks away from it. The glowing engine part will have the separation between the upper and lower halves, so here it's being cut in half using a razor saw.
Here's a view of into the engine area on the studio model. (For a higher resolution version of this and other pictures of the KBoP studio model, check out Modelers Miniatures and Magic  and enter "Klingon Bird of Prey studio model" in the search box.) As you can see, the band of dentil molding (what else should I call it?) between the upper and lower hull also extends into the engine area. Notice too, this determines the vertical positions of the glowing engine parts.
Here's the band of dentil molding I made to fit into the engine recess. It's Evergreen styrene: 3/16" channel with strips of corrugated siding.* Not a perfect match but close. To create the opening for the band, I cut the part flush using a router. This separation band will create a bit of a problem: modelers who modify the clear part to add the separation invariably end up with the separation too high and the gap too narrow. My modification will have to compromise elsewhere so the gap comes out in the right place. Part of the problem is the lower hull on the kit isn't deep enough in the first place.

*I had tried to cast a copy of the kit detail by pressing part 3 or 4 into modeling clay and pouring polyurethane resin in there, but it came out foamy and was thus unusable. Maybe my resin is past its shelf life.

Here's the little wing on the port side. It needed detailing, most of which is sheet styrene. It's not a match for the studio model, but it's similar.

And the starboard side. It's almost symmetrical. But not unintentionally so.
Where the upper hull overhangs, there's a vent or something on either side, where a red glow is seen. I put in some .040" styrene and mesh--more work still to be done--and installed kit parts 3 and 4 onto the lower hull (not to the upper hull first, as directed in the instructions).

Here's another view of that.

Here's the mesh from the outside. It'll have red LED glow in there when finished.

Next time: more engine work.

No comments:

Post a Comment